View Single Post
Old 06-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #304
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Got the bed hoisted up and onto the frame. Solicited help from the wife to keep it steady. I have been using a chain to do such lifting. Decided to use four of my many Sam's Club ratchet straps instead. What a difference. It allowed me to adjust each corner to make the bed level.

Had to take off the wheel to get the hoist close enough to drop the bed. Ultimately, I had to remove 3 of the 5 cross braces to get the bed down to where it belongs. I will lose about 5 to 6 inches of bed depth and even a bit more where the rear shock towers are. The wheel tubs have about 1/2" clear from the inside of the tire to the tub. Had to remove the rear trailer hitch so the end of the bed would clear the frame. I will reinstall a version of the receiver hitch later. Initially, I thought the trailer hitch was welded to the frame. Six bolts removed it. Battery tray design worked out and is clear of all sheet metal and will make changing the battery pretty easy. The front bed cross member of the bed is 3.5" above the frame and is clear of the fuel tank.

As I predicted, the biggest dilemma is the rear wheel placement in the opening. With the bed shoved all the way up against and touching the cab, it is still not quite right to my eye. The wheel is a bit too far forward. In short, should have stretched the frame 1 to 2 inches. Too late. Will have to modify the front of the bed to clear the cab or I may cut out all or portions of the wheel opening and move the sheet metal.

Also will reconsider the overall rake of the stance. Looks a bit aggressive inside the garage. May look a bit different when I back it out of the garage tomorrow. If I do anything to correct it I may rotate the front up (an inch or so) around the rear cab mounts. This will lower the rear of the bed and make it look a little less aggressive. See picture below.

Feel free to comment positive or negative on both the rake/stance and the wheel -vs- wheel opening. I can take it. Will post outside pictures tomorrow. Dug
Attached Images

dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote