View Single Post
Old 06-22-2014, 12:16 PM   #322
dug224

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

Rob: Starting to shape up. I can see what you did and it definitely looks better. Did you take a slice out from behind the wheel? Thanks for doing this for me.

Here's what I did this morning. May have to refine the math but this should be close. First, I found the center point of the wheel center cap and marked it. I then drew a green line (can see in photo) on the bed side parallel to the top of the wheel opening and found the "center" of the line. Tough deciding where the center is but I finally narrowed it to a point I can defend.

Existing Condition: Photo 1 represents current condition with a 5/8" gap from the front of the tire to the inside edge of the front of the wheel opening.

Scenario 1: Jacked up the rear and took the wheel off. I drew a line from the center point of the line at the top of the wheel opening perpendicular to the garage floor and centered the wheel on this line. See photo 2. The gap in front of the tire in this scenario is 1-3/8".

Scenario 2: I drew a line from the center point perpendicular the line at the top of the wheel opening (rather than perp to garage floor). This line is at an 86 degree angle from the garage floor. See photo 3. The gap in front of the tire in this scenario is 1-7/8". This appears to be the correct location. The gap in front of the front tire, depending where you measure it in the fender curve is approximately 2-1/8" so I am within a 1/4" of matching it. So, shift the rear wheel opening forward 1-7/8" (or 2") and take a slice out behind the rear wheel opening in the 2" range.

Last two photos are with the wheel in the correct position. Rake is still aggressive. I feel a shorter rear spring in my future.

By the way, the bed setup is as follows:
- from edge at back of cab to face of bed is 3/8".
- the vertical gap you can see on the side of the truck where the bed meets the cab is 5/8".
- wheel tub to inner tire clearance is about 3/4" on both sides which still may be too close.

thx..dug
Attached Images

dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote