View Single Post
Old 06-22-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: Project "Keeper"

Things I plan to fix initially:

A/C- it's all there, hoses look great, compressor looks good, a/c box looks good, fittings look good...but the fan's not working. May just be a fuse..and likely low on r12- probably will convert but may get some r12 and see what it does first...

Power steering- whines a bit when turning from a stop and was low when I test drove it. Will see if it works itself out with the added fluid or I have a new pump or several used ones I can swap in....

Passenger mirror is cracked- I believe I have a NOS one out of the box I can swap- mirrors are super clean otherwise with almost no surface rust on the arms...

Gas gauge isn't working- all other lights and gauges are working. Going to check the wiring and then take the carpet off the gas tank and make sure the connection is good...then will check the sending unit and if not that, will check the printed circuit and gauge itself. I have one of everything in case i need to replace anything...

Master cylinder is crusty/rusty. Brakes work great but I don't like the way the master looks so I'll wire brush/wheel it off and paint it a cast gray color.

Tailgate band is missing letters- (they're all there but not installed)- I am going to decide if I want to add woodgrain to the lower moldings- I'm leaning that way now.... will order a new black or woodgrain tailgate band.

Add a radio- I have a period correct AM/FM- thankfully the radio hole hasn't been hacked.

Ticking exhaust-headers have leaks at the primaries...heard it as soon as I fired it up for the test drive. may weld up but since they are simple block huggers and finish is coming off anyways (and more would come off to weld) I may just buy a new set (around 140 shipped on ebay with ceramic coating-less if I go with black)
Locks- need to re-key everything to match the ignition or replace everything together. It's got the lock for the glovebox door too...

Last edited by VA72C10; 06-24-2014 at 01:38 AM.
VA72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote