Thread: Intake woes
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2014, 08:51 PM   #16
pwradder

Re: Intake woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3W CITY View Post
Devils advocate to you tho.....our IAT's really really SUCK under the hoods of these trucks. I had the same base intake, and the heat soak is terrible. The ecm also gets warm, so your putting the filter over another heat source.

Ideally, the intake filter needs to be seperated from the engine bay. I started addressing this myself recently, and had to built an intake heatshield, relocated the path, and I went and modded the core support as well. Pics and video are coming.
very true! after finishing the swap in my '80 i ended up with almost the same intake configuration pictured- truck felt like an animal until it reached full operating temp during normal driving, after that it felt just a little ''soft''. during my first celebratory burnout i thought, wait-that's it? were'd the power go? on a hunch i checked to see what my inlet temp was and holy crap, it was 127 degrees on a 70 degree day! after checking the tuner software i also found out that the computer is pulling 5 degrees of timing with that kind of inlet temp at wot! needless to say, i have started fabbing a simple cold air box myself. definitely a mod worth doing!
1977 srw cc lb 396/700r/4:11's/6'' bds lift/ 35's. sold
1986 suburban 350/700r/3:73's 31's: parted out.
1980 silverado swb 5.3/700r/ 2'' drop/ daily driver. sold
1985 c10 long bed 5.3/700r/2'' drop/17" wheels/ daily driver. sold
1970 c10 long bed-new project! getting ready for the 6.0
pwradder is offline   Reply With Quote