View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 11:22 PM   #1280
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Eventually we found our way into the event. Our main objective was to look at the sponsor stuff and vendors. The day before most of it was gone or getting put away by the time we got to it and there was plenty of awesomeness to see there. This stude was outstanding and one of my favorites. Unfortunately I had only blurry shots of the front of it. All the chrome bits were a copper plate instead and it looked great.

Something for the alternative tinkerings section of the board...

Never heard of this one before but it looked badass...

The Atom...

Another cobra. I dig the colors. Gets your attention without making you think WTF?

Sweet scout...

One of the worlds longest trucks I think...

It was so long I had a hard time getting it all in a side view shot.

There was a bridge that was over a gully we walked over. I happened to look down to see how deep it was and was surprised to find not a river/creek/stream, but buildings...

More trucks...

He had a cool trunk in the back. He didn't know what it was from.

Great bed cover on that last one...

We spent a few hours looking around then hit the road for home. It's about a 5 hour drive from there to the house. Along the way we passed my trucks doppleganger in light blue.

Thats what mine looked like a few weeks before, then I dropped the ass end a couple inches.

We crossed the Mississippi at La Crosse.

Minnesota was looking more lush, all green again. It only lasts til September. After that the fields are drying out and turning brown, then harvest and back to bare dirt again. October brings the turning of the leaves and the shift to short and gray days. It's just a few months away. A dozen weeks. Doesn't seem fair, but does no good to complain. Part of what makes images like this, just another look down a highway with the sun streaming down and the land covered in green, so special.

Almost home now. Christianson Farms grain elevator is about the last landmark before rolling into town.

Coming around the bend...

Going past the grocery store...

BOTH of our stop lights ahead...

Through the lights...

And home...

Our journey ends. Another great road trip. More great days to remember spent with my kids and friends. Another reminder of why I love my truck and why I built it the way I did.

1594 miles driven, about 117 gallons of gas used, averaged 13.6 mpg. Can't complain too much about that considering how many miles we ran at 70 mph plus and all the time sitting in traffic, etc. The best tank was when we were rolling through Iowa the 1st day. All 2 lane black top at about 60 mph and I got almost 18 mpg.

A few items were added to the list for maintenance and repairs during the trip for me to take care of over the winter. Need to fix my blinker switch, which is cracked, left tail light is wonky, tach is jittery, horn doesn't work, radiator, add coolant overflow bottle and maybe do a rear shock relocation (but that's not really required).

I hope you enjoyed the highlights of my trip. I'm hoping it motivates others to get out and drive their trucks. Anywhere. Anytime. With people special to you sharing the cab and waiting for you at the end (or along the way) of your adventure. I know I can't wait til the next one.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 07-07-2014 at 11:35 PM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote