View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 11:21 PM   #55
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Voltage issue - Gauge Cluster and wiring Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywurm View Post
OK. Great news...

The other day I had noticed that the clip for the blue/white wires from the regulator and the alternator were spliced together... And that the white was spliced to black. I hadn't noticed this before a couple days ago, but the blue wire goes to the Engine side post on the diagram. Even though it was spliced blue to blue, in the connector, the blue wire went to the outside post.

I respliced it but that didn't help. Today I tried a new regulator and bam... 13.38 volts. And the moment I connected it, I heard the alternator kick in.

Voltage of 13.38 i think is a little low @ the battery though. You guys think I am good now or should I look into something else?
Here's a good diagram of the stock engine harness. Notice the blue wire goes to F and the white wire goes to R on the alternator. The diagram shows it as a black wire because a white wire on a white background just wouldn't show up.
13.38 is a bit low but it may get better with a run in. You may see some dimming headlights at idle, but at run speed they should be OK. Did you reground the regulator to the radiator support and to the alternator?

We can talk about the headlight relay mod when you are ready and the conversion to HEI ignition, then to the internal regulated alternator after you get all the mods done. See there's never an end to it.
Attached Images

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote