View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #21
Grumpy old man

Re: Help with the Hunt!! 1972 GMC K10 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
Only people who (a) have never built a nice truck or (b) don't really keep accurate records would say that.

I have $24,714.01 in mine not counting the trans, rear end, chrome, or paint. And that's all my labor. And I'm not done yet!

I track every item (other than paint, sandpaper, and other consumables) in Excel.

When I am done I'll post the list to my build thread. But come on, seat foam is $600. Recore or replace your rad, $300. Steering wheel is $250. AC Compressor is $250. The T62 battery is $300. Power steering pump is $240. Prop valve for the brakes is $200. New hard lines are $230. My spreadsheet has 218 entries just like that.

Now, if you're going to build a $25,000 truck with old seat foam and a sketchy radiator and a cracked steering wheel and a four-year old Autozone battery and a faded dash and rusty lines and "the AC just needs a recharge", sure. But that's not a "build".

Well..... Sure if your a retail buyer and have to pay anyone for anything done to the truck or don't own the equipment yourself ,or don't have a business to pay wholesale thru , Have never seen a tubing bender, don't own a commercial sewing machine to build your own interior,have never opened an engine or trans or have skills to barter for large items like powder coating the frame and suspension or you've never seen the business end of a da or board file . This comment is not directed to you personally just it's been said before it is way cheaper to buy a very nice /show truck already done by someone else rather than build one from scratch and how many trucks do you see sell for more than $25,000.00 ? No disrespect to anyone but building these trucks is a hobby and many have spent more than $25,000.00 to what end ? it's easy to spend it but one day the time will come to sell and there's just not that many people walking around with an extra 25k cash to spend on a toy ....My suggestion is to open a wholesale business and get a license and treat your build as such taking the discounts and savings since you will eventually pay taxes when sold .

Last edited by Grumpy old man; 07-16-2014 at 02:30 PM.