View Single Post
Old 07-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #23
davepl

Re: Help with the Hunt!! 1972 GMC K10 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy old man View Post
Well..... Sure if your a retail buyer and have to pay anyone for anything done to the truck or don't own the equipment yourself ,or don't have a business to pay wholesale thru , Have never seen a tubing bender, don't own a commercial sewing machine to build your own interior,have never opened an engine or trans or have skills to barter for large items like powder coating the frame and suspension or you've never seen the business end of a da or board file . This comment is not directed to you personally just it's been said before it is way cheaper to buy a very nice /show truck already done by someone else rather than build one from scratch and how many trucks do you see sell for more than $25,000.00 ? No disrespect to anyone but building these trucks is a hobby and many have spent more than $25,000.00 to what end ? it's easy to spend it but one day the time will come to sell and there's just not that many people walking around with an extra 25k cash to spend on a toy ....My suggestion is to open a wholesale business and get a license and treat your build as such taking the discounts and savings since you will eventually pay taxes when sold .
I'm not arguing the trucks are worth more than 25K, I'm saying you can't build a nice one for $25K.

I do take offense at your implication that its about doing your own work. You may have only been skimming my post, but I was talking about parts. I did all of my own work, thanks, except paint. I didn't buy preformed lines, I bent my own. I rebuild my own engines (except machine work), press my own bushings, weld my own metal, sand & varnish my own wood, polish my own metal, and I could list everything else but its easier to say:

"I have R&R'd every non-rivted fastener and replaced or refurbished every part of this truck, both external and internal. That includes the guts of the engine, trans, rear end, HVAC, and interior."

And I still spent $25,000 on parts. I don't care what kind of sewing machine you have, you cannot heat-press the correct scroll work into the vinyl, can you?

And I do have skills, thanks. I built a website for the carb shop instead of paying them. I wrote a database script for billing instead of paying to have my rad boiled out. You had it wrong on all counts, so I'm not sure why you decided to 'lol' at me.