View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 09:03 AM   #161
skorpioskorpio

Re: Project Madera: A Jimmy GT

MSD in their infinite wisdom made that LS unit completely non-configurable including number of cylinders, basically it can do a V8 with a 24X or 58X trigger (2 different models BTW, it's either 24X or 58X not one unit that does both). It fires 2 cyl TDC every 90 degrees, period. So I guess you could use it for a 4 cyl as well just don't hook up half the coils, but not a 6 which would need to fire 2 cyl every 120 degrees.

Yea the guy in Barstow, CA that does the Northstar stuff is the only guy and he's very very expensive. Just what it takes to do a serpentine setup in a rear wheel drive configuration Northstar will run $4-5000, and if you are using the prefered FWD engines, you have to have that to do anything. You need not only the pulley and mounts but a whole new custom billet front cover and a few other engine front pieces. It gets real expensive real fast.

The guy who did that 'Busa ITBed Northstar engine setup was willing to do more but you supplied the throttle bodies and it was whenever he got around to it. It wasn't terribly expensive but wasn't exactly off the shelf either. Kinsler did an ITB Northstar setup as well, not cheap.

I'm not sure the GSXR ITBs would work well on the Atlas, the Atlas is around 700cc per cylinder, vs the Northstar which is 575cc. I think all the GSXR ITBs taper down, and I'm not sure any of them are much larger than 40 or 42 mm on the small end. Mine are 45mm and I had a lot of people telling me to go to 50mm, though my feeling on this is a Jag engine with a really close bore and stroke combination making around the same HP with Weber carbs would use 45mm DCOEs (with 38-40mm venturi chokes).

In the end ITBs are really a stupidly simple thing and reality is that if you left the injectors in the head (which makes manifold design really tricky) OR you put the injectors in the manifold, you could just use regular Webers with the passeges plugged as ITBs. It's just a tube and a butterfly and sometimes an idle air bypass, but not always.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote