View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 09:00 PM   #162
Advanced Design

Re: 48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrodder View Post
Doug-

So if I followed along correctly you just cut the wood floor outside of the flange then went back later and removed the bolts and remaining wood that was left under the flange? Looking good.

Yard work got handled. I strong armed my 7 and 10 yr old boys into helping..
I also made some progress on the burb.

I like the progress your making..

Marc
Marc-

Glad you got your yard work done! When our kids were still at home it was almost more work to get them to help than to just do it. And I get a lot of help with it today. Wife typically mows and I handle the mower maintenance.

Yes that is exactly what I did and if I had to do it over again, I would remove the cross sill's used for the number 3 and 4 body mounts before cutting the wood. The cross sills bolt in and cutting / grinding the heads off would probably be a good alternative to unbolting them.

When I dropped the floor down I "discovered" (because I didn't pay enough attention at first) the cross sills were too wide to fit through the bottom as the sides curved in. Usually I take a lot of time, would unbolt the cross sills and make use of them again. I had a mess I caused with the floor hung up on the body sides so I sawzalled my way out of it.

Not much I dislike less than a carriage head bolt in wood that is slightly rusty. After the fifth one tightened up and spun, I took the alternative course to cut along the edge. That did make it easier to grind the nuts off the carriage bolts around the perimeter. The one or two inches of wood material remaining didn't want to release from the flange as there was a sealer applied.

I could have taken more time and done a cleaner job ....it was a bit messy though it is out.

Appreciate the comments about the progress. Typically my progress moves at a glacial pace as I travel a lot for my job. We've been putting in a lot of hours on the week ends making up for the 10 years this Burb languished in the back. And I have wanted one of these for a long time!
Attached Images

Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote