View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 07:26 PM   #1146
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Bag installation started today. Had to do some mods to the mounting plates that came with the kit as the holes didn't line up quite right with the bags. The mill made short work of that. Afterwards, I removed the springs, shock mounts, driveshaft and u-bolts. The forum wasn't a big help regarding how much the lowering blocks change the pinion angle. Some said they ran the blocks as is, others used pinion angle shims. Mathematically, the blocks should require a 2.25 degree angle to stay the same as without blocks. With one block in place I took some rudimentary measurements. It looks like it would be best to go ahead and mill some angle into the blocks and maybe save having to R&R them later. I know that some members have flipped the front control arm mounts to compensate for the pinion angle change. But other say there may be interference issues doing that. So modifying the blocks seems the best route for me. Also need to remove about 5/8" from the u-bolt legs. The scrub line will be close enough as it is without all that extra thread hanging down.

I'm hoping the driveshaft will wind up in about the same place. I have enough clearance to move in or out a small amount but not a bunch. Again, not much info out there. Which may be good, because if it were a big problem, I imagine you'd see more chatter about it. I did see where guys running two piece shafts have shimmed the support bearing to fix fitment issues. But I have a one piece shaft, so that isn't an option. More to come...
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote