View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 05:25 PM   #347
knomadd

Re: Knomadd '71 SWB C-10

On to the disaster that was the grille removal...

So taking the grille out wasn't a problem. That was pretty easy. The problem came later when I had to make a trip to the hardware store for longer bolts to install the fittings on the compressor.

As I'm pulling out of my driveway (I bet you can see where this is going) I feel something weird under the car, so I stop and get out to find the grille UNDER MY FRONT TIRE!!!! I get back in the car and finish driving over the grille and get out to assess the damage...

It doesn't look too horible in this picture, but the emblem is cracked and the two lower bars have broken away from the rest of the grille

Here's the ugly shot..

The sad part is that when I leaned the grille against the car I told myself I'd better move it before I leave so I don't run over it. An hour later and I ran over it!

So, now I've got the excuse to replace the entire grille with a chrome outer and a new billet inner... $625+ later... Oh, and truck freight is another way to rape you out of some of your hard earned money. Classic Industries was cheaper with their 15% discount, but freight was $200!!!

I wound up cancelling that order and just ordering through Classic Parts.. I hope their shipping isn't that high. I saw $70 added to the overall cost (included in the price listed above) but the fine print said shipping charges may not be exact.

Just goes to show that it's best to listen to yourself when you think something might happen and just MOVE IT BEFORE IT DOES HAPPEN!!!

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)

Last edited by knomadd; 07-13-2017 at 03:02 PM.
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote