View Single Post
Old 07-31-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
Ackattack

How many miles on your conversion

How many miles are on your conversions and what issues have came up?

I have a little over 20k on mine now and I had a couple of issues pop up.
- On one of its maiden voyages, my batteries died....turned out the voltage regulator had came unplugged.
- I rebuilt the transfer case shortly after I started driving it. The transfer case oil pump had a lot of silicone grindings stuck to the screen. I should have got a new pump, but I didn't and just cleaned off the screen and went on and rebuilt the TC. A few months later a few roller bearings and shift fork began to eat themselves. By this point it was my only ride, so I just bought a whole new TC.
- I lost 5th gear. When I rebuilt the transmission I bought an upgraded shaft to prevent the 5th gear nut from coming off. Well the 5th gear nut didn't come off, but some how the snap ring that holds 5th gear on came off. Luckily I was able to make it home in 4th gear with no other damage. A few dollars for a new snap ring and about $100 for new oil and I was back in business.
- Had to replace a u-joint....no biggie.
- The worst one, which required a tow, was when my front panhard bar (aka trackbar) cracked the frame and was flexing side to side. I was only doing about 20mph when this happened and it shook side to side violently.

So for driving it for a year and a half: not terribly bad. With a conversion like mine I kind of expected a few hick ups along the way.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote