View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #1
3 Forever

Any lifted K30's with stock (~3.5" thick) rear springs out there?

I recently changed the lifted height on my 86 K30 SRW. Before the changes, the truck had a 2" lift that the PO installed (front spring lift, rear blocks). It sat level with that lift.

After my modifications to the suspension, the truck sits higher in the back than the front. To give you some idea of the difference in back-to-front height the top of the bed at the tailgate is about 2" higher than the top of the bed just behind the cab. I want to level the truck's stance and that's where I need your opinions.

Here is what I did to change the lifted height:

Front:
-Replaced the old springs with 4" Tuff Country HD springs
-added 1" ORD zero rates

Rear:
-Removed the 2" blocks
-added 4" ORD shackle flip with 4" "super shackles"
-added 1" ORD zero rates
-Retained the stock spring pack, which measures about 3.5" tall

I'm wondering if the 454 and 8274 winch on the front end is enough to make the front springs sag by up to an inch? The Tuff Country website lists the spring rate for these spings at 495 lbs which I guess may or may not be stiff enough for the weight.

The other thing I should have done before buying parts was measure the rear springs, as they are 1.5" taller than those on my K5 and no doubt contributing to the "rear sits higher than the front" issue.

My thought at this point is to replace the front springs with Tuff Country EZ Ride 6" springs (spring rate is 465 lbs) then keep/remove the zero rates on the front/back as necessary to level the truck given that the new front springs may/may not sag a bit.

All opinions welcome, especially if you've dealt with this on a K30 with a similar set-up. I attached a picture, which really doesn't show the difference in ride height due to the rise in the ground it was sitting on (and yes, the tape and white nylon plug over the camper mirror holes is ridiculous - I'm in the process of fixing them which is a topic of a different thread).

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Attached Images

3 Forever is offline   Reply With Quote