View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #5
ChevyTech

Re: 89 S10 4.3 Need help troubleshooting TBI/IAC Idle issue

Quote:
Coolant sensor: The temp reading has always stayed right on the normal mark, and still does, so i think it's good. Do you agree?
No
As trucker stated there is a separate sensor for the gauge and a different sensor for the coolant temp reading that the computer uses.

Quote:
Just went out and tried starting the engine again, and it fired right up, ran to 1800 rpm for 20-30 seconds, then down to 1200. The fact that it starts right up after sitting and today's very low oil pressure sounds to me like it's flooding. Do you agree?
All I get from this is that it sounds like the IAC still works at least some.

Quote:
Now, the IAC is making clicking sounds when ignition is turned on (engine not running and running). Does this sound like a dirty IAC?
I there is any difference, a dirty IAC is more quite.
After the engine is shut off, and before it is started, the IAC should open somewhat. This makes noise. The IAC is a stepper motor and uses short pulses of electricity on the wires to move its position. If the IAC does not open at all, the engine will usually “load up” or “flood”.

When you replace, remove and clean an IAC, or unplugged the IAC with the key on, the ECM may need to relearn the IAC position. This will not happen without driving the truck and meeting specific conditions or taking other steps the cause it to relearn the idle.
Quote:
Fuel pump: After rebuilding the TBI, truck ran great on the test runs, great throttle response, and made good power (better than before).
The only way to know the fuel pressure is good is to test it. TBI trucks have no test port, which was a poor design choice by the Penney pinchers at General Motors.
The most noticeable symptom of low fuel pressure on TBI trucks is poor idle quality. The most common comment from an owner after a fuel pressure problem is fixed is "it has so much more power now".
ChevyTech is offline   Reply With Quote