View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 07:01 PM   #377
Chevy-Art

Re: My daily driver/beater : How I turned lemons in lemonade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
The last vehicle I built with this mentality was my 54 Chevy. I just cut aluminum block off panels for the firewall, screwed them in place and brush painted the entire thing with Rustoleum red oxide primer. I had more fun with that car than any other and it stopped traffic every time I drove it. Folks went crazy over it.

I had that car, all stock and bought a 78 Impala as a parts car, and took a week off work and built it. Mustang 2 front suspension, engine, trans, wiring, everything in a week. Man it was fun too. Ghetto sh1t, digging in coffee cans for screws and bolts, cutting up parts car wiring to get the right color and wire gauges I needed, and then I drove it daily for years. I drove that car 365 days per year all through EMT school, Paramedic school, Fire Academy, and through my rookie year here at the department. Something like 80k miles total. I had quit my job with the Post Office and was going to schools for a career change, so it was sink or swim. I had no income and driving something with a payment wasn't an option. It was a legit 18 miles per gallon car. 305 engine, 2 barrel, TH200 trans and 2.73 rearend. The stance and overall vibe is what made it so neat, not details and fit and finish. Underneath it was lackluster like this truck will wind up being. But, at 70 miles per hour in the fast lane, folks don't notice if you fussed over the details.
Is that a 210?