View Single Post
Old 08-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #387
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Re: My daily driver/beater : How I turned lemons in lemonade

[quote=Porterbuilt Street Rods;6790843]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post

The 2-link is definitely one of those areas where LENGTH MATTERS. Longer the bar, the larger the arc of the suspension travel, and thus the lesser amount of pinion change through travel. There are always Pros and Cons to any suspension configuration.... no such thing as the "best of everything" when it comes to suspension systems. One just has to make a list of "must haves" and then pick the system that best meets the needs of the list.

2-links are quite popular for their simplicity and cost. They work well under certain parameters. For example if you like to drive at a certain height that the travel range is within a 3" variance... with a proper 2-link set up correctly for these conditions, one might not ever have any issues or concerns with the pinion angle change (a few degrees of pinion angle change = driveline harmonics). BUT if one plans to drive the truck at say 5" off the ground and also wants to drive it at 1" off the ground AND also wants to drive it at 10" off the ground (9" or so of range)..... there will be a ton of driveline issues that present themselves over time.
Would the pinion angle change be an issue with anything that would shift 9" in ride height? Just asking, because I am curious. When I converted my truck to 1/2 ton hangers and did the flip kit, the pinion angle became totally hosed. I haven't done anything to it just yet (still trying to get it running first), but curious to how the main air ride systems in use might affect the pinion angle. Sorry to hijack your thread Kevin.