View Single Post
Old 08-07-2014, 08:52 PM   #60
CST10

Re: Can an AC Installed make the engine run hotter than before?

Update.

Adjusted timing to 18* initial and 40* all in mechanical.

Outside air temperature 95*.

Idled in the sun for 30 minutes with truck in drive and emergency brake set, hood also closed....temp gauge reads 195* degrees. Verified several spot on the heads, intake and radiator. Hood only opened to verify temperature with the laser gun. All readings the same.

Still idling as before but now turned on AC with windows down to keep system running for another 30 minutes. Temp gauge reads 210*-215* degrees. Again verified with laser temp gun in several location. All readings the same.

Only air movement was from twin electric fans that are rated to put out 4600 CFM.

I could see the heat monkeys coming out all around the truck with the fans running.

I would imagine that driving down the road may provide additional cooling, I hope.

Maybe that is what this engines best running temperature can run. It is a 454 bbc that has been bored out .040", making it a 462 ci. Maybe the boring out of the cylinders allows the now thinner cylinder walls to transfer more heat to the cooling system.

Any other thought? Change the thermostat to a 185 and add an additional tranny cooler into the existing system have been suggested. Both of these I plan on doing by the way, makes good sense to me.

Thought about adding an additional pusher fan on the condenser, but tested that theory out by placing a fan in front of it at the end, no change in temperature of the coolant system was noted after another 20 minutes.
Brutus the 1998 Camaro Z28, 33,500 original miles, LS1, 519 RWHP/497 RWTQ.
Member of the Louisiana Classic Truck Club, LCTC
Member of the Louisiana C10 Club
Member of the Baton Rouge Drifters Car Club
CST10 is offline   Reply With Quote