Thread: Project "Leon "
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #55
Xeen

Re: Project "Leon "

Great job on the frame it looks like you are doing some really good work.
I have some insight and hard won experience for you from not only my own build but from friends builds as well that will help you out.

Shortening the bed is the subject of much debate but anyone who has ever done it will tell you "it's an ok mod" meaning the bedsides turn out to be a nightmare and each of them will tell you if they had to do it all over again they would buy reproduction bedsides.

The reasons are numerous but the biggest factor is the time involved to make it right and if you aren't an expert metal worker you are in for a rough ride there are serious issues with the body lines because they don't line up once the bed is shortened and there are compound curves involved which combined with the mismatched body lines are a nightmare.

Every one of them will tell you that if you have a steel floor bed the best way to go about it is to section the floor properly and then bolt on reproduction bedsides, it is critical that you are precise when you shorten the floor or it wont bolt up.

I know you have already started the shortening process but I suggest you stop and buy the reproduction bedsides then once you have them you can take precise measurements and finish sectioning the floor because it's a $1,000 mistake if you do it wrong.

Pay close attention to the weight of the bedsides you buy because there are two different quality parts available "collision quality" and "OEM quality" the difference is the OEM quality bedsides use the original thickness metal and the collision ones don't and they are flimsy and dent easily.
For example the bedsides from Classic Industries the 1967 only bedsides weigh roughly 20 pounds apiece more than the 1968-72 bedsides.

I purchased the 1967 bedsides for my truck and I am very, very happy I did.
I know it's $1000 you didn't want to spend but trust me when I tell you it is worth every dime and then some.

Keep up the good work brother.

Last edited by Xeen; 08-15-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote