View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 04:30 PM   #22
Purcell69

Re: 1957 Chevy 3100, meet 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

I am back at it. Things got put on hold for a bit after we got back from AZ. The wife has been battling a staph infection and I have been dealing with a brutal case of kidney stones. The good news is Kim is doing better now and the stones are starting to ease up a bit. Katherine is off to college and I am getting a little free time to work on the truck again.

When I test-fit the body to the frame, I found my wheels sat too far forward in my fenders, both front and rear. When I initially mounted the core support, I had it right. The problem was I was off by 2 1/4" with the cab mounts, too far back. I relocated the core support to match up with the front fenders, but found the axles weren't centered.

Last week I pulled the cab back off the chassis, welded up a jig for the cab mounts to keep them all located. Cut the cab mounts loose from the frame again, and slid them all forward 2 1/4" to match up with the original placement of the core support and center the axles to the fenders. I was short on time and not feeling my best, so no pictures. I got everything welded back in place and today I started sanding the frame for paint. The plan is to get everything under the cab and bed painted so I can mount the body work. Once I get the cab back on the frame, I will finish stripping the frame forward of the firewall and get it ready for paint.

Here's how things are looking today...

-Joe