View Single Post
Old 08-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #227
DD1

Re: Trying to make Junky perhaps just a little bit Funky...

Okay, here is this weekend's update. I just realized this is probably my longest consecutive posting in a while.

I received my cab corners and other parts from Tabco, and ordered my floor pan from JEGS. I am waiting until the floor pan is received to work on the cab, so I am working on smaller projects in the meantime.

I think I'll start with what my goals were for today, and what I actually accomplished.

1. Replace shocks.
2. Attach Torque Converter to Flywheel
3. Add washer to motor mount bolts.

What I accomplished:

1. Replace 1 shock.
2. Attached Torque Converter to Flywheel.
3. Added washer to one of the motor mount bolts.

Of course, things can't go easy for me , so here's what happened.

Shocks:
On Friday night, I removed the P/S shock (it did not come out easy). Had to go to Lowe's to get some hardware, so I continued Saturday morning. The replacement shocks I picked are heavy duty Gabriel Shocks, and they are not compressed. After jacking up the truck, I had about 3/4" to go to get the bolt to meet the shock. I spent several hours trying different methods of getting it to line up. About 4 hours later, I used my other car jack to lower the axle and got it installed. The edge of the shock is touching the rear axle, but my friend told me not to worry about it, so I won't. 4 hours to install one shock. Nice. As my friend put it, "If you did this for a living, you would starve to death."

Flywheel / Converter attachment:
On Friday night, I started this, but the bolts were kind of shot. Went to Lowe's and got new hardware. After installing the shock, I worked on this, and thankfully something when easy.

Motor Mounts:
On Friday night, I removed the P/S bolt and added the washer - no problem whatsoever. Then I removed the D/S bolt and added the washer; somehow the engine shifted and the hole is no longer perfectly lined up. This sucks. Wasted an hour trying to fix it last night; did not bother with it today.

On Thursday evening, I removed the driveshaft. The intent was to install it in the transmission, however I realized that the center support bearing was shot. Ordered a new one and a couple of U-Joints from Rock Auto. Never used them before; I was surprised at how cheap the parts were.
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=502964
DD1 is offline   Reply With Quote