View Single Post
Old 08-29-2014, 01:40 AM   #1079
mosesburb
I had a V-8

Re: The Story Of A Cummins Suburban (Lots Of Pics)

So my truck barfed another fuel level sending unit. I found a NOS GM diesel sending unit this time. I noticed in comparing the two, the diesel unit has the old style potentiometer on it as opposed to the newer plastic pos. Hopefully this one lasts a little (whole lot) longer.

Somewhere along the way I acquired an ARB for the front 60. I had a few things that I wanted to do in the vicinity, so I used that as an excuse to pull the diff and work on it in the shop. By doing this, I was also able to use my case spreader on it which makes the installation of the carrier much easier.

Which left me looking at this in the driveway:

One thing I had to do was replace the frame hangers for the front spring shackles. I found these last year when I put the longer ORD shackles in, but was so tight on time that I put the new bushings in the old shackle mounts. The new urethane bushings were, believe it or not, no worse for wear after many thousands of miles in these raggedy mounts.

I had a stub axle on the passenger side that had a bearing race that was brinneling itself into oblivion. I picked up a Spicer replacement and swapped it out while it was apart. I like the tiger stripes of the heat treating on the new part:

I also swapped in some new components into the Spice locking hubs I am running to try and get some smoother operation out of them. These things are bomb-proof, but boy do they love being high-maintenance.