View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #2475
Bennett68C10

Re: Project "What was I Thinking" 68 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Your father knows what he is talking about. He has some great advice.

As far as changing your mind, don't sweat it. I KNEW I wanted red and white at one point in my build. Turns out I really just thought I wanted two tone. I wouldn't change anything about my final choice.

I only wish you were closer so I could help you hammer that bodywork out.....mine only took like a year or two.
Thanks Mike, I wouldn't change anything about your final choice either. Your truck looks amazing. I wish you lived closer too but I wouldn't want to put that burden of helping with bodywork on you I'm not worried about changing my mind back and forth. It's a hard decision to make and I have a tendency to second guess myself a lot because I stress out over things. My wife always tells me, you know what you want so just do it. I know she and everybody else is right but somehow I get stressed over things and change up what I'm doing instead of staying the course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Your father is a wise man. He's given you some very valid and important information to think about. I immediately thought about the "no buffing" limitation of a satin (really, anything that isn't gloss) when you said you were going black. I didn't want to deter you from your goals, so I kept my mouth (keyboard) shut. I'm glad he talked to you about all of that. I'm sure you'll be happy with it either way, but ultimately I think your father is right. You've always come back to red, you'll probably want it red at some point if you don't do it now.

One other thing to consider when choosing a color, if you haven't heard it already... The darker the color, the more flaws it will show (and harder to keep looking clean). White will hide a lot, and black hides nothing. Red is somewhere in the middle, but torch red in the sun is closer to white than black.

Keep at it. You'll get there. Your father is right, you've done a great job so far, especially for a first timer.
Thanks Duane l definitely appreciate your insight. I thought about the no buffing as well when it came to the Satin Black but I was in the depressed, I don't care attitude then I was basically overwhelmed with the bodywork on the cab. Nothing else needs a lot of work but the cab. I kept telling myself I couldn't do it or it would never be good enough for shiney paint. So I said screw it, I'll just paint it satin black and move on.

Sometimes you have to hear it from somebody else before you realize what your doing. All my father had to say to me the other day is what are you going to do if you get a run, or a bug or dirt in the paint. How are you going to fix it. It's stuff I thought about before but I kept saying who cares. The problem is I do care and like you said at some point I would have the itch to paint it Red, so why not just get it right the first time.

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote