Thread: PO has me PO'd
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #2360
jaros44sr

Re: PO has me PO'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
The only complication I can see with the trailing arms is whether there is enough length to get the trans and transfer case squeezed in infront of the trailing arm cross member. It'd probably be tight. When I measured mine for the 4L80 based on the "0" point in the factory 2WD frame specs (which represents the trans/engine split) it was right there at that cross member with the mount only a few inches ahead of it. I don't remember which trans you were going to use, but the dimensions from the engine to the end of a 700R4/4L60/65/70e is 24" and a 4L80e is 26 1/2" ( both with no tailshafts installed) then add the transfer case. The dimensions from the engine/trans split to the trailing arm cross member is 32 3/8" so it's not a lot to play with and probably not possible with a 4L80.

At first I considered leaving mine 4WD but changing it to 4 wheel coils and an independent front, it just seemed like too much work for something that is kind of unnesissary in a state where there is less rainy days than national holidays and the last time there was measurable snow here was 1954 and there was only one other time in the 20th century and I've been sabotaging all the Priuses I see to make sure that doesn't happen again.
Great info.,i think it is close enough to investigate, i have lots of room in front of engine to go forward. Right now i have a th350, but an od trans is in my future. I wonder if the 6' bed trucks had trailing arms?

If i go forward, i can make both driveshafts the same lenght

I wonder how you decide on which coilovers to pick from. A new rearend deserves a new rear suspension. I ve downloaded the winters catalog, lots to pick from.......

Oh, BTW, keep sabotaging

All parts offered to help are free, unless otherwise noted

Dont try this stuff in my build thread, unless you have 55 years of mechanical OTJ training
SAFETY FIRST

AS usual, off topic

They say your mind goes second, can't remember the first

Jim
jaros44sr is offline   Reply With Quote