View Single Post
Old 09-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #1
goodemj

Power Drum Brake Questions

Looking for some brake booster knowledge. I'll start off with my setup and then ask my questions. I have 1969 C-10 lwb 4x4 that currently has drum/drum power brakes. My mc is leaking and I figured it would be good idea to go ahead and replace both mc and booster. I read a few threads about the one ton dual diaphragm booster upgrade, but everything I read was about upgrading from drum/drum to disk/drum. I'm keeping drums all the way around because I got a smokin' deal on a pair of Dana 70s with 4:10s in them. Plus I have a set of 15x10 8 lug wheels that won't fit over disk brake calipers.

I would like to upgrade my booster to a one ton booster for better braking power. The 1969 one ton booster is dual diaphragm but a smaller diameter than the 71-72 one ton booster. So here are my questions:

1) Is the 71-72 one ton booster better than the 1969 booster because of the larger diameter?

2) Will a 1969 replacement drum/drum mc work with a 71-72 one ton dual diaphragm booster since disk/drum was the only option for those years?

3)Is there a difference between drum/drum power brake boosters and disk/drum power brake boosters.... kind of repetitive if the previous question gets answered but I'm curious. The local part stores don't have any in-stock to compare.

I like the look of the later model booster better since it looks similar to the 1/2 ton booster... and I would like to use the late model braces to better support all the weight of the heavier setup. I have a 71 blazer 1/2 ton setup to donate the braces, I know the lower brace won't be long enough but I'll figure something out. I read on another thread one of the members used a spacer at the firewall. Please share your knowledge if anyone has any answers or experience with this type of upgrade.
goodemj is offline   Reply With Quote