View Single Post
Old 09-09-2014, 10:50 PM   #334
sodly

Re: most original 60-66 truck in existence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by factorystock View Post
X2, I agree 100%. Thanks for going the "preservation" route Sodly. I am glad it went to the right person. I have always mention the wheels are critical to the "factory look" and character of 3/4 tons, and once again your truck proves this fact. Yeah, its more expensive to deal with this type of wheel, but the finished look is priceless. About the color of the rings, 16" lock ring wheels always had the silver ring, the 15" and 17" lock ring wheels did not have the silver rings, the rings and wheels were all one color. I have noticed some promotional photos in literature were doctored for various reasons.
I was hoping you'd see this, factorystock. You and I are of a like mind when it comes to wheels, brother! Like you, I used to think the 16" rings only came in silver. But, as I mentioned, I have a promo film from GM called "El Camino" (narrated by Paul Harvey, no less) that features a red/white '66 Custom Camper with all-red 16" lock ring wheels (which were part of the Custom Camper package, I'm pretty sure). I've also seen one other dark blue/white Custom Camper, same color as mine, that had all-blue rings and wheels. Can't confirm that one was factory paint but it sure looked plausible. Frankly, I think these wheels in monotone look just awful. The silver ring is really important to the look on this particular wheel, IMHO.

Custom Camper Club-- Own a 65-66 Custom Camper? Join us at: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/g...hp?groupid=117
sodly is offline   Reply With Quote