View Single Post
Old 09-14-2014, 06:40 PM   #247
Advanced Design

Re: 48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceburgh View Post
I only had 4 missing between both rear fenders....I went with welded in flange nuts as well
I was thinking your 'Burb was really solid. Thanks for the confirmation on the flanged nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 to Life View Post
gotcha, I got a visual of it. Just wasn't sure if there was access from the inside. I haven't dug into either of my panels as they are on the back back burners.
Sorry 99....I learned something new and got all excited yacking about it. Usually there isn't access from inside though I made some access for the left side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrojunkie View Post
That's a brutal task. It takes along time to do metal work to fix rust. It feels like eternity doing it but it's so worth it once you have done it.
It sure is a brutal task hydrojunkie. Spending as much time replacing some rusted metal as we did replacing the entire floor. Knew going into this it would be slow and wow I was right. Not my first time though.

Here is a picture of the extra access I put in. Just the one toward the rear. PO had used a torch on the area above the wheel opening to install a thin sheet with nuts. We will repair this once the rusted metal is replaced.

Jim, below is a practice piece with the flanged nut. This is what you mentioned? Re-learned I need to tack both sides before welding as of course it lifted. Then believe I can sand / grind the face of the weld about flush with the bottom of the flanged nut.

Lotta grelding this week end and only have 2 patches left to do on the right hand side. Plodding along.....
Attached Images

Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote