View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 08:50 PM   #9
data89

Re: Gas Mileage is poor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
A full size pickup of essentially any year is a HEAVY vehicle. These types of vehicles need adequate torque to move them around easily. The smaller the engine, the less easily they can move under their own power.Then theres the trade off between too many cubes with enough power and the opposite....

My point is that you can't cheap laws of physics and have both worlds. Modern technology fairly good MPG numbers in the newest pickups, and you'll read in a magazine where someone has a super sophisticated engine in an older pickup that gets 20+ MPG.

I rate a 250 six banger in the somewhat under powered class. possibly w/ some super tuning, fine adjustment and massaging of your carb, you might be able to get a little bit better MPG from your ride. What type of carb do you have now? What kind of a carb is that Holley???

If the engine is original, ring seal and such may be getting weaK. Have you ever performed a compression test?

11-1/2 MPG's is not a bad number, my opinion...
The carb is an original Rochester Monojet and the Holly I thought about trying is just labeled as an Economaster 8053.
data89 is offline   Reply With Quote