View Single Post
Old 09-24-2014, 12:00 AM   #123
Clarance J

Re: Just another old truck.

Yes sir me too. Thanks again. Its just been about the last 50 miles that I finally got the timing set right. I don't know whats different about this motor that has been troubling me. I've had this motor since 1975 with stock point ignition and all I've ever done is set it to stock specs and ran it for years that way. This time I added pointless ignition by Accel and the coil (8140c) to eliminate the resistor. It ran fine the first two weeks then one day it started to back fire and then died completely. I was lucky that a man named John stopped and pulled me home the last mile. I found out that the coil had burned out so I went back to the stock points system. This is where the problem took a different turn. I adjusted and set everything just like I had done dozens of times but I had this stumble and balk off idle or acceleration. I put a new Edelbrock 1406 carb on this build so I checked the adjustments again, float level, all the things that you check that you think you might have missed or got wrong. No luck. I had to come at this from a different direction. Got on the net and started searching and found something that I had heard about but never was concerned about. You all know it as total timing. Ok. I checked the new dampner to make sure the marks were correct, marked the pulley at 34, took the springs out of the distributor for it to advance, started the motor, took it up to about 2000 rpms and set it there. I had never set timing like that before but had nothing to lose. Put everything back together, reconnected vacuum line, checked stock timing again and it was all good. Who woodah thunk. No problems since.