View Single Post
Old 10-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #1
GAc10boy

1971 GMC SWB "No Direction" LS build

Well, after moving my previous build on (see Chalky White) and a small foray into the dark side (73-80 trucks), I've regained a little sanity and am back with a 1971 GMC short wide.

It's a pretty solid truck with a, what I believe, unusual factory motor / tranny combo - I6 with a th350. It's in primer now but has had the rockers, cab corners replaced, a floor patch and some emblem holes and cargo light filled. Mostly original except for the tailgate and the driver door, it was originally 519 Dark Yellow with the D89 paint stripe (think inflation fighter). Virtually dent/ding free but has some rust bubbles I just noticed on the inside headliner above the windshield (yikes), needs some seam sealer put back in the drip rail as well as a new inner fender and battery tray, and upon further inspection I've noticed some rust in the firewall and under a poorly patched floor pan (Geez!) Also, it has a rattle can job on the interior but it has a decent bench seat and newly soundproofed cab floor.

Most of the parts will be sourced either from CL or via board members. I'm trying to keep my eye on the budget but as the title suggests, not really sure where I'm going with the build. Per usual, my good friend and board member biohazardbill will be giving me a hand with the motor swap, etc. Hoping to have my garage at my new house up-and-running soon so I can do a lot of the work myself.

EDIT: Sold the Coys (undecided on wheels) and likely going full Porterbuilt at some level. Motor install in progress.

Now, on to the pics...

UNITED BY TRUCKS - classic truck video content
YouTube: www.youtube.com/c/unitedbytrucks
Instagram: @united_by_trucks
Paw Paw '68 508 Dark Blue Custom C10
Teddy '68 GMC SWB 503 Light Green LS Build
Mississippi Mud '75 Skyline Blue Patina SBC Build

Last edited by GAc10boy; 02-02-2015 at 04:34 PM.
GAc10boy is offline   Reply With Quote