View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #79
SCOTI

Re: My 89 CC Dually: Double Wide

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte0185 View Post
Im just wanting mine low enough to tuck the top inch or so of the tires like the front of mine but I have no desire for it to drag frame. I do alot of pulling trailers and I wanna pull a 5th wheel camper and bigger GN trailer but like you i dont want to sacrafice frame strength by cutting it but at the same time i need to keep all the bed space I can. I was just thinking i could get rid of the leaf springs and swap to bags to get the stance i like but somehow keep my bedspace but seems like its going to be one or the other i guess.
Mine is set-up to be basically an 8" drop & in theory should tuck the top inch or two of the tires @ ride height. The issue is compression.... I wan't 3" minimum clearance before anything touches the bumpstop which meant the bumpstop point of contact needed to be @ the top of the factory frame rail vs it being bolted to the bottom of the rail.

My 68 was bagged w/c-sections & had about 2" clearance w/no bumpstops. It could tow just fine because w/a load I would add extra room but for the ride height I wanted unloaded it made contact way more than I cared for. My 74 was the same but w/a home built AOL. My 90 is just leafs @ this point but it's worse than both of those were & can't carry anything w/o being on the bumpstops. All had stock floors....

This time around I'm not compromising:

No c-sections that consume 2/3 of the frame rails strength while still allowing contact.
No clearance issues & bumpstops installed for safety.
Better ride quality unloaded.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote