View Single Post
Old 11-04-2014, 09:08 PM   #292
Advanced Design

Re: 48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrodder View Post
AD-

I like the changes. I agree, that the modified OE fenders will look more uniform. It is more work but I bet you like the outcome more.

Keep it up.
Marc
Thanks Marc, it is a bit more work and the end result will be way better. Looking forward to updates on your 'Burb. Iceburgh is probably been out cruising in his by now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 to Life View Post
man that looks killer, both ways looked good but your going above and beyond to keep that aesthetic looking proper. Sux you had to back track, I hate backtracking. but its worth it most times. I really dig that drill "slugger" lol never seen one like that.

rosette weld, yah fancy name for a plug weld.
Thanks 99, yeah sometimes I go down a path that isn't right and have to back up. Will be better in the long run. The drill didn't want to magnetize very well (think due to sheet metal) so I ended up using a hand drill. Way faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
AD, first set-up wasn't bad, but I'm sure this new one will be what you want, and that's what counts...Jim
Thanks Jim, you are a kind gentleman.

So playing around with this decided to add the filler piece to the wheel tub first. Used the sheared edge of the filler piece to scribe a line on the original tub, hand trimmed to the line and started tacking together. Forgot to take a pic with only a few tacks in place.

Did a butt weld with the edges flush, tacking every 8 inches or so to start, working slow. Anywhere the edges started to pull in and overlap, used a hammer and dolly on the weld to expand it back out and line the edges up again.

Weld, grind, sand, used a light under the wheel tub to find little gaps I missed on welding, then repeat process, using hammer and dolly to bring up the low spots for a pretty decent surface. Good enough for primer, paint, sound deadener and carpet.
Attached Images

Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote