View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 04:59 PM   #126
torchlight

Re: Marvin (1953 3100)

Hey everybody, another small update here. Haven't been able to visit the shop as much as I would like, because I've been out of town for work for almost a month straight! Have a couple weeks at home now, which I've been enjoying very much. Marvin continues to make some great and steady progress!

Here is some more floor repair. The original floor wasn't too bad, but there were some pinholes here and there through the bottom. So the thought was it would be the most straightforward just to replace the trouble sections entirely rather than fill the pinholes and count on the surrounding metal to hold up over time. I really love the beads in the panel here for added stability, even though they'll never be seen:

Got the Vintage Air Gen II a/c and heat unit mounted behind the dash. Nice and snug, and the valance under the dash really hides it completely! Also, the shop installed a metal bar running along the entire width of the dash that we can use to mount wiring and electronics under there, if needed.

Chassis continues to go together - here, the quality and looks of the Scott's IFS is really outstanding. Brake lines are getting installed also.

A couple weeks later, the chassis is getting very close to complete. Everything here has been installed for the final time - that is so exciting! Suspension, steering, rear end, brakes and brake lines - its all there. This has really turned out to be a beautiful frame for an old truck, I think.

Gonna just dump a few more pics of the frame here because I think it really sets the stage for how Marvin is going to turn out as his final assembly continues.

Here, the rear exhaust was mocked up for the purpose of taking measurements for the fuel tank, which has been laser cut and is being welded up as I'm typing this. Ended up with an 18-gallon capacity. You can also see the clean brake line work, and the completed rear end - went with 3.66 limited slip gears from Moser.

Love this view!