View Single Post
Old 11-13-2014, 06:12 PM   #1
1972BlueC20

Urgent, need opinions on my new crate engine

Guys I need your urgent input please!

Here is the situation in a nutshell :

I just ordered the 290 HP Gm crate 350 engine from Summit Racing.

Part # 19244450

I have since been hearing a lot of negative comments regarding this engine. Some people say they love it, and it's fine for a daily driver (which is what I want out of it, and I just want it to be equivalent to my current stock 175HP 350 engine)....others say it's a complete dog, especially off the line and in low RPM's.....I understand its all subjective and relative to everyone's own opinions....also there are many factors at play here which vary from person to person..for example.....1/2 ton, or 3/4 ton, 4x4, or 2WD, manual or automatic tranny....stall, no stall....rear end gearing....also there may be other issues with other faulty parts....bad distributors....incorrect timing settings....ect ect ect....

I'm looking for comments from everyone....but at the same time I would really like to hear from people who have first hand experienced the performance of this engine in our trucks or know someone who has rather than people just seeing the specs on paper and saying, "oh that engine is going to be a dog because of reason xyz".....I know you guys know your stuff and would probably be right in making judgement based just on specs, and I want your opinions too so please don't take that the wrong way.

My reason for needing input urgently is because, the engine has already been shipped from summit and should arrive tomorrow or Monday. I spoke to summit just now about my options of potentially returning the engine and buying another engine instead.....they told me that if I just REFUSE the delivery, it will get sent back and I will not be charged anything. I then can order the new engine and have it delivered on another shipment. This may create some issues, so I took screenshots of the chat dialog where the agent said I WOULD NOT BE CHARGED in case I do this and then they try to charge me. I don't really want to go through all this unless the engine is really going to be horrible! I don't like to be wishy-washy about anything, but I'm spending about $5K on this deal with parts and labor for the install and I just want to be happy at the end of this. Again, I'm not looking to build a hotrod, just a plenty of power stock equivalent daily driver engine for my 72 c20.

To you guys that have already given me some input on this in other posts that I've made, i'm sorry to keep going on about this but I'm just having some buyers remorse and it's a crappy feeling.

Thanks in advance guys!!