View Single Post
Old 11-14-2014, 12:18 PM   #222
67cheby
67cheby

Re: Slosh Tubz SEMA 2015 Build "BOOSTED BERTHA"

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
i seen that done the same way , it gets realy sticky and still can catch fire or drip and stick to youre skin burning you , its realy tedious work too

its an oil product basicly bitumen so gas petroleum ir sumtin like that will desolve the final bit sticking to the metal once you stripped all you can with the torch
I was just thinking using a hand held butane torch to soften it (not get it to hot)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971 GMC SHORTY View Post
Best Thing Being Useing butane torch metal Scraper and. Good Mask Don't no what Chemical Are in Coating Been Doing it this way forever
considering this !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot949 View Post
Sand blast... works great as long as you have someone that knows what they are doing....

Second best is a torch and scrapper...
Its going to Media blast next week, just wanting to get the big stuff off first !

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
allways figured the sandblasting would just mud up the undercoating not remove it , maibe they need to heat it up with the blast to get it to let go
maibe they use a waterjet with sand that might work
Maybe so !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modges'66 View Post
I don't know about using a torch...Seems to me like you would warp the sheet-metal badly.
If you look back to page #1 of my thread, I used a twisted wire wheel in a small Dewalt grinder, and it didn't go too bad, it seemed to take it right off if you leaned into it a bit....In the tight corners I used a twisted wire brush made for a die-grinder that had the wires sticking out from the face of it, but put it in a 90-grinder....Don't skimp on the face/eye protection though, because after a while the wires start letting go! As far as I can remember I and/or my son did it in 4-5 hours, and if you look later in the build thread when it is painted, it looks stellar!
We will try a few different techniques this week
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemdaddy View Post
i use an air chisel and finish up with 36 grit on a DA. by now most of the stuff gets rock hard and it was easier to chisel and sand. but i bet a wire wheel would work for the cleanup around the rolls and edges. .02
Hmmmm.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDW View Post
This the pic I have seen with the huge watts link?

Jake
yes sir !
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVPhotos View Post
I poked around and seems the oscillating multitool works best. I used one on a job to cut aluminum panels and such.
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...ating-removal/
ok I will check that out !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
This.....just have to be sensible with how much heat you put into the surface. A good heat gun would likely work as well. Aircraft stripper works too, but it is nasty and messy.
I will try !
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark 66 View Post
Ive tried believe it or not. easy off oven cleaner. let it sit over night then scrape it off. dosent get all of it but does get a lot. used this method on a Camaro a few years back. when I did it suggestions were to use only easy off. good luck. worth a try.
I will try it !
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote