View Single Post
Old 11-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #29
haybale

Re: 82 SWB GMC cruiser with an attitude

Ok it's only been 8 or 9 months but I thought I should do an update anyway. I have been working on the truck slowly. I cut boxing plates out of 12 gauge sheet metal and tacked them in place after welding nuts to the inside of the frame or all the suspension. They are tacked for now incase they need modification further down the road.

Name:  boxing plates 2.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  45.2 KB

Name:  boxing plates 5.jpg
Views: 1258
Size:  45.0 KB

I also made the crossmembers for my new fuel cell. I went with a 20 gallon Aeromotive aluminum cell and pump. The original rear crossmember had to go so I could put the tank farther back in the frame. Since I don't have access to a press brake I welded a piece of strap that was cut to the correct width between two pieces of angle iron to form the rear crossmember. The allthread in the picture was there to keep the frame set while I cut out the old crossmember and made the new one. And yes it is needed, the frame springs out about 3/8ths of an inch when I take out the crossmember now. so having those in place until all the holes where drilled makes sure the frame goes back correctly.
Name:  20140319_155459.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  43.4 KB

I then mocked the tank in and made the front crossmember out of a piece of 1x1x1/8th angle iron and a couple 1/8th in tabs. I was able to use existing holes in the frame to mount it.
Name:  fuel tank .jpg
Views: 1010
Size:  35.3 KB

I have begun making the straps that will hold the tank in place and welded the brackets to the front cross member that will hole the adjusters. I am still working on finishing that. You might notice the pieces of rubber in between the tank and crossmembers. It is 1/16th of an inch and when done will cave the crossmembers and the straps.
Attached Images

haybale is offline   Reply With Quote