View Single Post
Old 12-01-2014, 05:43 PM   #5
mr48chev

Re: Cab Mounts for a 1948

I've pondered that a bit over the years and if your new frame is stiff enough that it doesn't twist when you go over something like a high entrance to a parking lot or driveway I don't see why four solid mounts won't work ok. I'd want them to have cushions between the cab and the mount and below the mount to allow some give so it will flex a little though.

One has to remember that when these trucks were built they were often used in the fields and other places that were pretty uneven and had to have a lot of flex that they may not need when we just drive them on the street and the only off road use they get is riding across the lawn at a park to a parking spot during a car show.

You would want to use appropriate plates on the bottom side of the cab floor to strengthen the area though. I think all that is really missing is the outer cab mount bracket. The 47/48 cabs have that wrap around inside the back panel inner panel that strengthens it for the center mount setup.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote