View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 06:07 PM   #6
mr48chev

Re: C10 steering wheel in ad..how to change

Joedoh you must be about ten times stronger than most of us because in 50 years of working on these things I've never seen one that I could do that on even when I was at my strongest in my 20's. I wouldn't recommend it as there is a good chance a guy could crack or bend a wheel in the process. Some methods while they might work aren't the correct way to do some things.

Mgiam the steering wheel puller like the guys showed above makes it a simple process to pull most steering wheels.

As far as a custom wheel you pick the you want and then buy the right horn kit (adapter) to bolt that wheel to your column. You will need a horn kit for the year model of C-10 the column came out of.

Just like the rims and tires the steering wheel has to fit in with the theme of the build be it resto mod, lowrider bomb, high tech street rod/machine or what not. You also have to handle it and look at every time you get in the truck so it has to be comfortable to handle and it needs to be easy enough on the eyes that it doesn't get tiresome to look at after a few weeks. Simple is usually better in that respect.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote