View Single Post
Old 12-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #7
joedoh

Re: C10 steering wheel in ad..how to change

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Joedoh you must be about ten times stronger than most of us because in 50 years of working on these things I've never seen one that I could do that on even when I was at my strongest in my 20's. I wouldn't recommend it as there is a good chance a guy could crack or bend a wheel in the process. Some methods while they might work aren't the correct way to do some things.
Ive worked on cars and trucks about 25 years, and never needed a puller. I've never cracked or bent a wheel either, but I have seen the puller fingers damage wheels when they slip. I also saw a guy punch himself in the face with a steering wheel because he took the nut off and set about yanking around on it.

The splines are tapered, so they lend themselves to being pulled this way. you dont pull straight out on both sides, you give a yank on one side, then the other, then the top, and by then its usually loose enough to come off. has nothing to do with brute strength, its about applying the force in the direction that provides the most benefit.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote