View Single Post
Old 12-07-2014, 05:50 PM   #136
Steve-W

Re: 1969 Custom/10 clean up

My god.. I had to read through my own thread, to know where I left it off.
So I finished the exhausts and eventually desided for side pipes, seeing that routing them to the back was just to much trouble 
then I got busy with the doors..well actually I had a mate take care of it while I was busy with the exhaust. As I’m typing this I got my new mirrors in, but I’ll leave that to one of the last things, seeing I haven’t fitted the doors yet.

Finally we got the heatercore problem figured out.
Outlined the heatercore and taped off the area for the plate, then we cut a piece of sheet metal to the right size and debated over how to connect it. I was reluctant to weld it in, seeing that we would have to grind of the paint and make the fit super smooth, so then I thought of using an oversize sheet with rivets, but that would not close everything and moistere could collect behind it. But then we found a tube of industrial glue and that worked like a dream

Piece of sheet metal with the desired hole cut out.

Cutting into the firewall, with result

The sheetmetal, in color..glued onto the firewall

Here’s a shot from the inside, with the heater core attached

Here from the outside, I’m happy with the result.

Here the inside box

Then I started to get the right hand side mounted, and this being my first classic american car I’m putting back together, I was somewhat suprised with how everything lines up. I practicly had to completely unbolt the radiator support to get enough play so the fender would go on. Also getting the innerfender to fit was a struggle, in the first place finding the right size speednuts was somewhat of a quest, and then getting everything lined up took me some time..but eventually I got it.

Inner fender

One thing I forgot is to bolt the right hood hinge, before mounting the fender, becaause reaching the bottom bolt is a b#tch

So I sacreficed a spanner to create a special tool, it lasted just nog enough until it broke 

I found a spray can with some blue paint which is almost the right color, so I desided to paint the heater vent ball thingy

Mounted, color looks the same don’t it?

Then I mounted the sunvisors and rearview mirror, which came in whith a friend coming back from the States.

I then took apart my steering column again because I was still bugged about the position of my indicator stick and I got some new bearings. It was still in the original green color, so I painted the visable parts also blue.

Then it was time to go to bed, so my next update will be about trying to mount the column.
1950 GMC 100
1958 Chevy C60 Viking ratrod

Last edited by Steve-W; 12-07-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Steve-W is offline   Reply With Quote