View Single Post
Old 12-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #52
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Palf's 64 BBW Short Fleet

Been tweaking on the ole girl and trying to get little bugs worked out.

I am getting DANG good at changing power steering pumps that we use on these models (70-72 style). I though I had a leak in the low pressure line (which I did) so, went in and tightened it up. Well now the silly thing was leaking worse. Wasn't sure if it was the low line again or not as I had not cleaned the pump off real good when I was tightening the LP line.. So torn it all apart cleaned and inspected everything. It all looked fine, so back in she goes. Seems the it was leaking at the high pressure fitting also. Hmmmmmm, OK ,pump fitting or high pressure line. OK back out with it all, and looked it over. I couldn't see any anything Since I found an old pump from a 72 that I had been planning to use on my old 70 and didnit want to run to the parts store for a line that proably wasn't in stock, I decided to try the other pump first. Hooked my line to it and mounted it up. No leaks and the pump works great.

So evidently the new pump had a less than great fitting. Will see what they say about a return, but I am running this one for now.

Also put in the new fan shroud. It looks way better and is WAY less brittle that the original one! New plug wires (that are not a mile long) are on the bench, I just didn't have patience to accomplish it today. I wanted to DRIVE it.

New steering wheel installed, but something messed up in the horn ring. It appears to be stuck on. For now, separate horn button until I see if they have a good kit for the 64 setup.

Tach is wired up, new speedo installed, so time for a road trip.

It was so nice cruising the old girl after about 4-5 weeks sitting. I have a little bit of a rub/squeak in the speedo cable, so I'll relube it and see it it goes away. If not I'll pick up a new one.

I still seem to have some intermittent wiring issues near the fuse box. I am debating on ordering a replacement inside harness or a complete modern kit. Still need to do some extra grounds for the bed lights.

She is back in her house waiting for some more tinkering (and a bath).

I guess I 3 steps forward, then maybe a step back on things. But that is sorta the old truck world at times
Attached Images

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote