View Single Post
Old 12-08-2014, 02:06 AM   #24
Wildcard

Re: good overdrive tranny??

All 700R4`s have lockup, TH350c is lockup and the standard TH350 is not. same with the TH200 and TH200c both these lockup units are not worth using but standard models are.

Factory pretty much just redesigned the forward part of the trans and added overdrive to the 350 to develop the 700 cause the rear section from the inner centersupport back is pretty much interchangeable on the clutch and steels and pretty much same in appearance to the 350, they did same thing with the 4L80-E which is overdrived TH400

E in 4L60-E means Electronic

700R4 will operate thru all 4 gear with no lockup plugged in but really isn`t good on it, biggest mistake people make when installing a 700R4 behind a carbureted engine especially with out the Quadrajet carburetor that had a 700R4 TV (throttle valve cable) connected to it is if you purchase a standard holley or carter or edelbrock carb the nipple on the bottom of the linkage is make for a Kickdown cable on a TH350 trans and Is Absolutely in the wrong position and geometry of what of required for the operation of a TV cable 700 the trans will never have correct line pressure always way to high and shifts will never be correct and will eventually damage the trans. each carb manufacturer make a bolt on kit that attachs to the linkage off the side of the carbs to relocate the position of the cable that operates a 700 and all will be good. kinda of a spendy kit but well worth the like of the trans. I purchased one and have made a cardboard pattern of it and have make my own for every carb I had to correct.

Wildcard
Wildcard is offline   Reply With Quote