View Single Post
Old 12-09-2014, 07:38 PM   #2666
Bennett68C10

Re: Project "What was I Thinking" 68 SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie468 View Post
Thumbs up on the two -tone Keith !
Thanks Chris, I can't wait to get it painted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
It's not a bad idea, if I understand it correctly... But, I don't know that I would do it that way. It's nearly impossible to lay the tape down exactly where you need it to be to get both colors to butt against each other. Even if you do a small overlap, after you've painted the red and its layer of clear, you'll have a hard line that isn't easily smoothed out. Color sanding and buffing might take the red off too, if you're trying to flatten the edge. Afterall, you'll have an edge that isn't fully protected by clear, which could cause problems later. Or, you can mask a clear line above the red, then mask the red line that will be pulled off when it comes time for clear so the clear fully covers the red and a little of the white, but you'll still have a hard line in your clear. Blending clear is a pain in the rear... Just remember, the more coats of paint or clear you put against a tape line, the thicker the edge will be and the more you'll notice it.

You could spray the color and only part of the clear you're wanting on the whole truck (2 coats instead of 4, or whatever), then after both colors are on, re-clear the whole truck with the rest of the coats you want. 2 more coats to get to 4 total, or 4 more to get 6, etc.

Or, just spray the base coat of both, then clear it all. This is the way I would do it, but I'm still a newb too. If you miss the re-spray window, let it cure whatever is recommended by the paint company, scuff it and clear it. Ask some other guys what they recommend as well. Someone with more experience can probably give you more detailed info on the subject. I'm sure you'll do fine when you get to that point.
Duane I have done a lot of research and thinking about it and like you stated in your last paragraph I think it's best to spray the white, tape it off and spray the red, unmask and clear the whole thing at once. I think I will have less headaches this way.

66 Suburban

Burb Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=751361

IG: bennett68c10
Bennett68C10 is offline   Reply With Quote