View Single Post
Old 12-20-2014, 09:01 PM   #17
mechanicalman

Re: Quadajet Choke "Heat Stove" Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54blackhornet View Post
Well I am going back to stock QJet on my 71 GMC 350/350. Attempted the Edelbrock/Carter thing with little success. Can anyone tell me if you where able to get the stock 71 heat stove to work properly in cold weather.

Does it help to remove manifold and hot tank to remove carbon build up under cross over passage ?

Thanks
Mine always worked well. If your exhaust cross-over in the intake is plugged or restricted then it would help to clean it out but I know of no method of knowing how to tell before you remove it. I'd probably weigh the pros of replacing it, like "is it leaking oil, coolant, or vacuum?"

You need to tell us a little more detailed description of how it's running cold, does it die, is the cold idle too high or too low, is the choke pull-off working, etc. Set up the hot air inlet tube, if you have not already.

I'd first confirm the choke pull off is working. Collapse the choke pull-off, then put your finger over the vacuum nipple, and see if it springs back or if it only moves a little and stops. If it stops, it does not leak until you remove your finger then and it is usable. If it leaks, replace it and see how it does.

There are 3 adjustments to make and each one affects the other one. Make sure the various parts like fast idle cam and linkages are clean and moving freely, use choke spray to clean if necessary. Do not put oil or grease on them as that will attract dirt and gum it up.

1. Choke pull-off. Bend the linkage rod that goes directly to the pull-off.

2. High idle screw for cold idle speed. Turn the screw.

3. Choke stove coil. You can adjust this by either bending the rod or altering the thickness of the base plate gasket.

If you have a repair kit for this carb, refer to the specs on the choke pull-off to get a rough idea if it needs adjustment.

Then, make sure you set the high idle correct after the choke pull-off. You want it high enough that it does not die out cold.

Then I'd start adjusting the choke coil rod if needed. Start by installing a brand new baseplate gasket that is exactly right for this application. They are usually about .250" thick like this one:
http://www.carburetion.com/Products/...?part=20-2269A
You may have to adjust it several days before you get it where you want it. I recommend to bend it to match the new gasket so that it will always be right if you use the right gasket.
mechanicalman is offline   Reply With Quote