View Single Post
Old 12-26-2014, 08:05 PM   #178
paintman

Re: 46 pickemup in NJ "the Rebuild"

I think at some point this truck must of had a flatbed on the back and was used for a mobile bowling alley. Because of all the abuse, the inner vertical support ribs were not really touching the back wall of the cab. This was going to work to my advantage as it would give me enough space to slide the ribs behind the supports thus allowing them to "spring" and push the panel back to it's original curve. I had to futz with them for awhile to get the curve just right.

Once I was confident with the fitment of the ribs and the curve of the back of the cab, I pulle them back out and clened them up in preperation for final install with 3M panel bonding adhesive.
[/URL]

I then just glued them up according to the instructions and put them in place one by one working from the bottom to the top. After alot of adjusting and clean up this is what I ended up with.
[/URL]
[/URL]
Now your just going to have to trust me on this but, after the glue dried up the back of the cab is stronger then it ever was from the factory. There is absolutely no flex when I push on the back of the cab. All of the oil canning is gone. I think with a little more hammer and dolly work, (and more meds) it will look just fine. After all 90% of it will be hidden behind the bed.
[/URL]
Ok so here is my disclaimer: I know, I know this is probably the most half a$$ed way to fix the problem but again a man has to know his limitations
paintman is offline   Reply With Quote