View Single Post
Old 01-04-2015, 09:33 AM   #345
Advanced Design

Re: 48 Burb, bagged, 5.3, 20 year wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty 46 View Post
Nicely done ... lots of lay out time before it goes under the drill!!

R46
Thanks R46! It does take time. Did you notice all the squiggle mark out lines in the middle picture? I traced all the braces and edge lines from underneath then somehow switched the floor panel end for end to mark out holes for body mounts. Even had the panel marked front / back,,,ugh,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 to Life View Post
wow looking good. I'd just keep it moving, make a simple box, esp if your gonna cover it. I mean yeah any reason to make a cool teardrop would be cool but this is the 20yr wait right? On a side note.... something that would add a tad bit more time is those openings above the wheels. I can't help to think a cool sliding door on each side that would let you have access to that area, as like a hidden compartment or an endless amount of things you can put in there.
Yeah 99, I am thinking box is pretty quick. Have the materials and could knock it out after church. Hmm...lots of storage to the side like a 1980's Buick Electra wagon. Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrodder View Post
AD-

I like something other than a square box if you are thinking of carpet over the metal. It might make it a challenge to cover a square.

This might sound funny but you could by a large metal bowl for like salads and stuff and just weld it in.

Here is an idea of what I'm talking about. Not necessarily SS but you get the general idea.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50057254/

You can get them in different diameters and you could even cut them down to the height that you wanted. Ok quit laughing...

Marc
Hey Marc I am not laughing! I was looking for an old differential cover, didn't have one I could find then was thinking of our big stainless salad bowl. I used a sink drain for the fuel surround through the truck bed on the 48. Love your alternative idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman3 View Post
Doug, Marc came up with a great ideal. I don't like the square box, you could also do a mini wheel tub, like the two on the side just smaller. 99 nailed it with the hidden compartments. Boy these wives surprize you sometimes don't they...Jim
Marc sure did. Mini wheel tub...hmmm....maybe something like two trailer fenders cut down and welded together...http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Fend...9X32-1RWB.html
Wouldn't be too difficult to make. Still like the salad bowl idea. Will be thinking about it. Jim, They sure do - Proverbs 31:10.

Thinking I could make use of this half roll I have.... Cut it down to size, will have flat sides.

Thanks guys,
Doug
Attached Images

Last edited by Advanced Design; 01-04-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote