Old 01-04-2015, 10:32 AM   #1299
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Pics from yesterday.

The rear diff...

Side by side tire comparison...

Out with the old...

Just checking how it might look. I had the front end on jack stands about 5" higher than where it was normally. The old axle is hanging in full drop and happened to be centered right where the new tire would be. With the amount of travel this will have I don't think 5" is nearly enough, probably going to be more like 8" higher.

The inner fenders will need to come out. Once the engine cage is built and suspension is in I may try to modify them to go back in for some rock throwing protection, but that may not be possible. Depends how far up the tire will go in full compression. I've thought that maybe the slosh tubs could be used because they are raised up for tire clearance but I don't know if they could handle the abuse. Steel dents and bends, fiberglass can absorb some shock, but cracks or tears. Just thinking out loud. I think I've seen other raised inner fenders that basically look like originals and might be steel. I can move the hood hinges using porterbuilt ones if needed.

I also contacted ORD with some questions about their kit and other options. Hoping to have some money to play with later this month.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote