View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #1557
bonnieclyde100

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
I taught myself that I have not learned a damned thing about building these trucks in all my 68 years.

On my way to take care of the chickens this morning ("Yes, dear." "I'm glad you want to have eight chickens just like your old Italian neighbor
did when you were a kid." "I'm sure that you *will* do all the work."), I passed RAT siting and waiting for the rest of the stuff that's coming
(white face overlays) in order to install a slick amp:volt gauge kit from Forum Member, Forum Merchant, and all around good guy Tom at:

http://www.classicgaugeandcluster.com/

I remembered that I'd been head-scratching over the dash lights going dark a couple of months after installing the LCDs. Since I don't drive
much in the dark, I'd forgotten that I need to address that. And, since I want to pull the dash and bezel to install the kit from Tom, and I'd
already checked the fuse block on the chance that...well you know...fuses.

So, off with the dash grommet retainer, parking brake assy., undo the screws, push the light switch button under the dash to pull the "switch mast",
unscrew the ww and faux choke knobs, unbolt the under-dash steering column yoke, unscrew the phillips that hold the bezel on....clip the lines to
the non-GM tach. Unbolted the oil pressure gauge line, and the speedo cable.

Replaced a bulb that was burned out (one of the orig. that I couldn't reach when I installed the LCDs).

No dash lights (juice is there at the connector, 'cause the turn signals, etc. work). Brand new M&H harness. Pretty.

Got on the ground with a flashlight and peered at the fuses again. Pulled the 3A cluster fuse. Looked good. "WAIT!!!" "LOOK!!" "Hold it up to the light!"
"It's ever so slightly blown." Which means, it's blown.

Glad I waited to multi task to pull the dash, (the amp gauge:volt gauge conversion from Tom), or I'd really be pissed at myself.
do yo have any pics of you building that console for the screen? ihave one and i am looking for ideas. i was even thinking of putting mine in the sun visor but i like your idea also.