View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 03:51 PM   #1559
bonnieclyde100

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwakeenercew2jh View Post
Not a bunch of pics of this. But here's one:

Here's a parts list:

About ten feet of 4 7/8" (or whatever it is) left over flooring material...any floor installation place has a bunch of 18" scraps.

A yard of carpet that matches your interior to your liking (mine was under $20 from the dollar store...I got about 2.5 yds) ...
...the stuff I had was left over from the tank cover and kick and lower door panels.

Some heavy poster board or cardboard for templates.

A hundred different (in different sizes) wood and sheet metal screws.

About twenty feet of 1 x 2 scrap wood. Maybe twenty feet of 1 x 1 if you want to rip the the 1 x 1.

Four 1/2" "L" brackets (with the legs about 1-1/2" on each side) to hold the cabinet to the floor on the bottom, and screw
(or bolt) through to the existing holes under the a/c or heater controls on the under side of the dash.

Some spray glue to attach the carpet to the outside of the box. Some Elmer's wood glue to stiffen up the wood support
joints inside the box.

Some kind of clamps to help you hold everything in place while you glue/screw..... Unless you have six hands.

After I did the interior bracket for the radio, I cut the hole in the face plate (made of 2 sections of the floor material glued together),
I covered the face with some faux-carbon fiber material. I had to attach blocks inside the at the corners of the box to screw the face on.
I wanted/needed access for the electronics installation and for playing with it, if necessary, down the road.

For me, it was about thirty bucks and a few days of work. Would be less if I don't count the carpet. In actuality, it really only cost me the
gas to get to a friends house to snag some scrap bracing wood. But, I already had all the stuff laying around.

This one's not for everyone. But it serves my purposes pretty well.
thanks that will help