View Single Post
Old 12-27-2013, 11:50 PM   #1924
VWNate1

Post Re: SoCal checkin' in

I use any typ of brass / copper polish *BUT* you've gotta be really careful as it's easy to push too hard & loosen the thin copper strips loose from the plastic sheet .

If you do , just gently run in the one direction that presses them back into place , once clean wipe the polish residue off with a clean white towel , hold carefully in place as you re assemble everything .

I've done this to many oldies as I'm picky about gauges & lights working etc. plus I'm " Yankee Thrifty " (MEANS : cheap) so even though the sheets are available new & used & junkyards , I prefer to re use whatever I can , every time .

Like wise when replacing those always gone missing ground straps , use star washers to dig in and get 100 % grounding .

Gauges work on Milliamps and millivolts so a couple broken strands in a wire or some minor dirt on the connector , will make it read off ~ stock gauges are cheap crap yes but they're also very pretty and designed to be accurate .

Most of the time someone else has been inside the dash / gauge cluster before you and left out a screw or three , dinged a delicate connector , so forth & so on .

Because YOU care , you'll do a better job than any paid shop , it's not rocket science , just come look at some of the fine trucks built in the back yard then driven to our friendly meet & greets .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH